Changing the world 15 minutes at a time

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Welcome

So maybe it's not a new idea, but it certainly is an important idea:
Spend 15 minutes per week working for change.
Working to change the world.


Today, I had this epiphany, one which many before me have had, that just believing in a cause or acknowledging its existence is not enough to actually change the world. For me that was a very important revelation and it is actually something I knew deep within myself, but something that I needed a kick in the behind to actually accept. I heard a speaker today who told me that in 15 minutes a week I could make change happen. His name is John Prendergast and I actually believe him. Mr. Prendergast has been a champion of human rights, Darfur, and Africa for 25 years and also works in the community with the Big Brother Program. He is an amazing grassroots organizer and an inspiration to those of us who really do want to make a difference.

When I say "Change the World," you are probably thinking the same things I used to think: "I don't have time," "What can I really do?" "How can one person change the world?" I've realized though that those thoughts trap us into believing there is nothing we can do. However, there is so much we all can do to initiate change. I admit I am writing this as much to convince myself as to convince you of this wonderful, hopeful fact.

So my mission is to convince you that you can change the world in 15 minutes per week. Each week I will post various tasks, websites, ideas, and causes that will help us all in achieving various missions of change. I will report on my own activities as well and I will hold myself accountable to this mission.

No comments: